Divorces are never easy but the process doesn’t have to be ugly either. Many couples are choosing to proceed with a collaborative divorce which is a peaceful resolution process aimed at keeping the process civil while avoiding litigation and eliminating the stress, nastiness and high costs associated to a traditional divorce proceeding.
If you are considering a collaborative divorce, here are some very important questions you should ask to ensure you are choosing a lawyer that is right for you.
- Is the lawyer you are considering hiring familiar with a mutual divorce? While many lawyers have a lot of experience in the courtroom, that is not the same as handling a collaborative divorce. You have to make sure that they have the hands-on experience and knowledge necessary for this type of divorce and that both the lawyers being hired understand and agree that they will not be filing any court motions.
- Does the lawyer have experience dealing with divorces that include children? When children are involved, their well-being and happiness is a top priority so the lawyer should have the appropriate experience to deal with this complicated and very important matter.
- What does your gut tell you? A lot of people will offer you their opinion and advice, but remember that you are the one going through the divorce and that every case is unique. You will know deep down if the lawyer you are planning on working with is the right one for you and your family. Always trust your instincts!
- How much time can I spend with my lawyer? The answer to this is very simple; as much time as you need. A good lawyer will do everything they can in order for the client to gain their trust. Divorces are stressful and can be uncomfortable so you need to make sure you are working with someone that makes you feel comfortable when discussing extremely personal matters like your finances and concerns regarding your children.
- What happens if things get ugly and no agreement can be reached? This is a very important question to ask because as much as one can hope for the best, things don’t always work out perfectly. You should be aware right from the very beginning what the process is if things don’t go as planned. Many lawyers are unable to stay on the case and represent the client if the divorce changes from a collaborative one and has to go to court.
These are some of the questions to consider when choosing a lawyer to represent you. Clean Divorce is a great firm that specializes in collaborative divorce, legal separation agreements and divorce mediation. Call Rahul Aggarwal today and have an experienced lawyer answer all of your questions and ensure a divorce process that is stress-free!